Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2) - Amish Tripathi 2.5“The opposite of love is not hate. Hate is just love gone bad. The actual opposite of love is apathy.”And that pretty much sums up my feelings for this book – not love, not hate. Just apathy.It hurts me that I cannot give this book a better rating. All things considered, The Secret of the Nagas deserves at least a three, for the sheer ingenuity of its concept. But my ratings are always based on how intensely a book affects me, and as frustrating as it is to admit, this book did not affect me in any way.I tried; I really, truly tried. Considering how disappointing the first book was, I kept my expectations low this time around. I pretty much ignored the clumsy writing and the clichéd characterisation, keeping my focus only on the story. I hoped that would make me like this book better than its predecessor.But it just didn’t work.Battles were being fought, and I didn’t care. People died, and I didn’t care. Surprises were being revealed, and I didn’t care – probably because I figured them out way early. (I deduced by page 50 that the Naga man was probably Sati’s first-born son. And I always suspected Brahaspati was alive, since his body was never found. I mean, isn’t that the golden rule of Bollywood??) Even the humour felt painfully contrived.Also, I could never really picture this in my head. The characters never felt like real people, and since I couldn’t visualise them, I couldn’t empathise with them. There was an instant when I just couldn’t make myself read any further, because doing so seemed increasingly like a chore. And the eye-roll moments definitely didn’t help. (Like how every new character just has to fall down on his knees before Shiva and cry copious amounts of tears. And when Kartik is born and Shiva picks up Ayurvati in his arms and swings her in a circle... Cringe-worthy.) I would still say this: The imagination gone into crafting this story is spectacular. So please don’t let my review change your mind about giving this one a go. So the book didn’t work for me. Sad. Doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. Besides, The Shiva Trilogy is multitudes above the insipid, tacky love-stories that so many Indian authors regularly churn out. And for that alone, it at least deserves to be read.If only the writing were as exciting.... *sigh*