Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
One Hundred Years of Solitude - Gabriel García Márquez 3.5Reading this book is like dreaming with your eyes open.It’s a long winding dream where logic and meaning are non-existent, where unnatural people lead unnatural lives, where ridiculous things happen, and even though you subconsciously know that everything is a farce, you end up believing all of it anyway because hey, that’s what you do in a dream.The problem is what happens when you wake up.If you’re spellbound, you’ll remember this dream for life and consequently, love the book. If you’re sceptical, you’ll dismiss the dream as thoughts-gone-haywire and not care about it.As for me, I think I’m somewhere in between. I’m fascinated by the book but I don’t love it. I don’t see the point, maybe because there isn’t any. Still, now that the book is over, I miss it badly.A few things stand out in my memory – a girl getting blown away by the wind, a senile old man muttering in Latin under a chestnut tree, a house full of spectres being invaded by nature – but the bits and pieces in between have gotten all mixed up into this indecipherable mush in my brain. And I’m going to let the mush be and not think too much about it because if there’s anything I’ve learnt after 432 pages, it’s that you’re not supposed to dissect things and ask questions. Only then can you truly appreciate the craziness, crafted with impeccable detail like only a genius story-teller can.