Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Warm Bodies (Warm Bodies, #1) - Isaac Marion 1.5 reluctantly rounded off to 2(Only because this was slightly more bearable than glittering vampires)I was wary about this right from the start. After Twilight and Shiver, I have come to realize that I don’t do so well with I-fell-in-love-with-a-monster themed books. And despite all the stellar reviews, Warm Bodies is no exception.Things were okay for the first few pages – a creative concept, an unconventional hero and some smart writing. Then Julie entered the scene, R fell in love and the tongue-in-cheek narration that I’d come to admire suddenly turned all sappy and philosophical.Also, things turned utterly ridiculous.------------SPOILERS AHEAD---------------So, let me summarize the love-story:R is a zombie who, unlike his fellow dead, can sputter out a few monosyllabic words.Interesting.R eats a guy’s brain, ingests his memories and falls for his girlfriend, Julie.Okay, I get that.He brings Julie back to his airport-hive and protects her from the fellow dead.I get that too.Julie, meanwhile, listens to music and teaches R to drive a Mercedes.Uh... didn’t your boyfriend just die??R decides to take Julie back to the human world.Obviously.On the way, they stop at an abandoned house and Julie sweetly offers to share her bed with R.Wait. So you’re already over Perry’s death?? That was fast.Julie goes back and R misses her.Meh.R goes after Julie and disguises himself as a living being.Really? It’s that easy??Then there’s a corny balcony scene where Julie is oh-so-happy to see R.Romeo-and-Juliet, anyone??R confesses to eating Perry’s brain. Julie hugs him and says it’s okay.WHAT?? HE ATE YOUR BOYFRIEND!! What’s wrong with you??Julie wonders what it would be like to kiss R.WTF.Julie and R run away together to save the world and R sings a song.*Facepalm*....So maybe I’m being a tad sardonic, but whatever. I don’t get what’s so rave-worthy about this.In my mind, brain-eating zombies + groaning skeletons + sappy romance + philosophical musings + wry humor is not a very appealing combination. I have to agree with Sam here: Warm Bodies is a zombified Romeo X Juliet fanfiction. And I don’t like it :-/