Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson First of all, why did they change the title? WHY?? Men Who Hate Women is so much more potent and fitting than The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (stylish, but grossly underwhelming).Secondly, why did I watch the movie first? WHY?? Not that the movie was awful or anything, but it's so unsatisfying when you already know who did what.And lastly, why did I let this book rot on my shelf for nearly an year? WHY?? Yes, the movie gave things away but reading Larsson's grueling descriptions is a lot more terrifying than watching the same stuff play out on screen. Now that the rant's over...This was an intensely gripping book. In spite of having seen the movie, I could not make myself put this down. Or maybe it was because I saw the movie. It's unbearable when you know all the dirty dark secrets that your protagonists don't. So when Mikael's exchanging pleasantries with the-person-who-did-the-unthinkable, I'm chewing my nails and mutely screaming, "You have NO IDEA what's in the basement, DO YOU???"Nerve-wracking in an altogether different way.As for Lisbeth...let's not even go there. I could gush all day about what an enigmatic, brainy, unnerving, scary, inspiring female she is. I'll probably run out of adjectives anyway.Two more books... and I've been told things get scarier. Well, I can't wait.