Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Wonder - R.J. Palacio -----Immediate Reaction after reading----I'm so torn. On one hand, I loved Auggie so much that it feels insensitive to give this anything less than a stellar rating. Yet, if I'm being honest, I do have a few issues with the book.Going back and forth between 3 and 4.----Full Review----So I finally decided to be honest and not emotional, so 3 it is.Let me start by saying that Wonder is a really good book. It’s original, relevant and well-written, with a very strong protagonist. Ten-year old August is the kind of character that you wish you could hug. Born with severe facial deformities and home-schooled all his life, Auggie must now go to a real school and interact with other kids. It’s a sensitive issue but R. J. Palacio handles it brilliantly."I wish every day could be Halloween. We could all wear masks all the time. Then we could walk around and get to know each other before we got to see what we looked like under the masks."My biggest beef with the book – and I don’t know how else to say this – is that it’s too... sunny. Too bright. Too sweet. The ending is picture perfect, like a Bollywood movie – the kind that makes people stand and applaud as they dab at their eyes and hug each other.Wonder is narrated in multiple POVs. While the change in perspective was refreshing, I didn’t find any remarkable difference in the POVs. The tone of narration was all the same and no trace of the narrator’s personality showed through the writing. Anyone who’s read Hannah Moskowitz’s Gone, Gone, Gone or Kathryn Stockett’s The Help would know what I’m talking about.Oh, and the ten-year-olds in this book date. I’ve been told it happens, but it’s just weird when such young kids discuss who’s hot and who’s not. And the frequent use of the word ‘dude’ was irritating. There were times when I forgot I was reading middle-school literature because the kids didn’t sound like kids.Maybe I’m being a little too harsh. I mean, this is meant for middle-schoolers after all. Had I read Wonder ten years ago, when I thought super-happy unrealistic endings were cool, I would have loved it.All in all, Wonder is a very impressive debut, worthy of a solid 3.5 stars.