Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

Review: Days of Blood and Starlight

Days of Blood & Starlight - Laini Taylor

Daughter of Smoke and Bone was an exquisitely crafted fairytale - a world with two moons, a girl with blue hair, a forbidden love that lasted beyond a lifetime. Impeccable in its world-building and stunning in its narration, DoSaB affected me in a way I never imagined any paranormal romance could.

Days of Blood and Starlight however, is no fairytale. It tells the story of a world ravaged by vengeance, of cities turned into tombs, of blood and revenge, annihilation and war. Of a choice between love and loyalty.

“It was false. It was crazy. It wasn’t love. It was stupid”
“It was brave. It was rare. It was love, and it was beautiful.”

I loved this book so much more than its predecessor. The characters have more depth, the world-building is more detailed, the story more heartbreaking and the writing - just as brilliant. I sound like a broken record saying this but Laini Taylor strings together words so beautifully that I almost don't care what she writes about.

"Perhaps Fate laid out your life for you like a dress on a bed, and you could either wear it or go naked.

"Karou is fast becoming one of my favorite females in YA. I was impressed with her choice at the end of DoSaB, and everything she does here further proves her strength of character.

"This was her life, and it was her nightmare, too, and sometimes the only way she could bear it was by telling herself it would end. If it was a nightmare, she would wake up and everyone would be alive. And if it wasn’t a nightmare? Well then, it would end in one of the very many ways that lives end. Sooner or later."

I wasn't a fan of Akiva in DoSaB; he was way too mopey so it was a pleasant surprise to see him transform into a true leader of the rebellion. I loved how he chose to shape his misery into something fruitful; something other than the blind rage he unleashed after losing Madrigal.

"It was the understanding—and burden—that unlike those many dead because of him, he had life, and life wasn’t a default state—I am not dead, hence I must be alive —but a medium. For action, for effort. As long as he had life, who deserved it so little, he would use it, wield it, and do whatever he could in its name, even if it was not, was never, enough."

One last book to go, and something tells me it will be just as spectacular, if not more. And as much as I wish otherwise, it will also likely be just as depressing.*sigh*