Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold 1.5The Lovely Bones is the perfect example of a brilliant start gone unbelievably wrong.Pages 1-35 was the only portion of this book that felt genuine to me. The rest of it went from being okay to bad to just plain ridiculous. Chapter 22 was especially painful - and I don't mean that in an emotional context. It was one of those WTF moments that I'm glad was cut from the movie.Here's something I don't understand - how can Susie read minds?? This is probably a trivial thing but it's been bugging me non-stop. We are not even told when exactly Susie learns about this ability. It's like one day, she just knows what people are thinking - no explanations how or why. I feel this ruined the narration. There were times when it felt like the usual third person narration and not necessarily like a dead girl's view on things (which is what it's supposed to be). Linsdey was one of the better sketched characters. Her reaction to Susie's death was one of the few things I didn't have trouble believing. Ruth's obsession, on the other hand, was exaggerated and creepy.I wish Sebold had focused more on Susie's heaven - I quite like the idea of it. But sadly, it's left unexplored, like many other potentially interesting things in the book.I prefer the movie. It does a better job at keeping you emotionally invested and is easier to endure than 300 pages of nothing happening.The ending's still lame though.