Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Thirteen Reasons Why - Jay Asher Somewhere between 2 and 3I’ve really struggled to rate this book. I don’t hate it, and I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. I just... I just didn’t understand a major part of it.Why did Hannah Baker kill herself? That’s the question everyone’s asking. And the answer is in the tapes that Hannah left behind. Only, it’s not a very convincing answer.A lot of the reasons felt really silly to me, especially in the first half of the book. I mean, whatever happened with Hannah was unfortunate, and many of those who made her “list” were real douchebags, and I understand her getting upset about it all, but to get suicidal...?? Really?? Over a paper bag of notes?? That’s too extreme.Or maybe it’s me. Having read books like Speak and Stolen in the past few months, which were all about surviving, I just don’t get a girl wanting to kill herself because the people around her are jerks.The second half was much better, or rather, more substantial. Cassette 6: Side B gave me chills. There’s something deeply unsettling about a suicidal girl talking about suicide; about wanting to give up and just disappear, like she’s already made up her mind.As for the characters, I feel Clay was much better fleshed out that Hannah. I understood him, not her. I felt for him, not her. And that’s a shame, considering the book is obviously about Hannah, not Clay.Despite all that, I feel the book has a really important message: If you spot the signs, don’t turn your back. If someone’s slipping away, get them to talk. Don’t let your preconceptions about a person stop you from helping them, while you’ve still got a chance.Otherwise, it might be too late.