Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe
Unwind - Neal Shusterman Some books have these moments that give you chills, that make you go cold inside. You think you'll cry, but you don't. You think you'll get sick, but you don't. You think you'll stop reading because it's too much to take, but you don't. You just go numb.This happened to me three times while reading Unwind, and each time, the reasons were different.Chapter 30: I was numbed by anguish. I knew Cyrus' reasons for going to Joplin couldn't be pretty, and when he finally made it to his destination and did what he (or Tyler) wanted to do, it broke my heart. Shattered it.Chapter 61: I was numbed by horror. A commentary about a real-time unwinding from the perspective of the kid getting unwound; knowing his thoughts even as his body disintegrates into nothing...I understand now why so many readers shelve this book as horror.Chapter 69: I was numbed by...Joy? Sadness? Maybe both. Harlan Dunfee's twenty-sixth birthday party made me cry and smile at the same time.And you know what's really remarkable? None of these chapters feature Connor, or Risa, or Lev.I think this is what sets Unwind apart from the usual dystopian novels - there is no singular protagonist to cheer on, no hero to worship. It's not about one boy or one girl versus the world; it's about all victims versus the world. So you feel as much for Mai and Tyler and the Admiral, as you do for Connor or Risa or Lev.Unwind presents a world gone crazy, a society gone scarily clinical. Have a child you don't want? Leave it on someone's doorstep, and it's legally, no longer your problem. Have a teenager who's getting too difficult? Get him unwound, and it's legally, no longer your problem. And the reason it's so unsettling is because it doesn't seem that far-fetched. It seems real, possible, imaginable...and the fact that Neal Shusterman writes in the present tense somehow makes it more uncomfortable.I'm not a big fan of the first half of the book; the start seemed mediocre and slow. But ever since I finished this, I can't seem to get it out of my mind. Unwind isn't just a gripping story; it also makes you think, and there are such few books that do that. As excited as I am to read the next book, I know it won't be an easy read, so I think I'll take a breather before starting Unwholly. Needless to say, I have HUGE expectations.