Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2)

Insurgent (Divergent Series #2) - I’m extremely frustrated right now.In many ways, Insurgent is a better book than Divergent. The premise is stronger, the action is grittier, and the conclusion...well, I’m still trying to wrap my head around it. Yet, I had to force myself to get through the book.Reason...?? Tris and Tobias.I liked Divergent because of Tris and Tobias.I hate Insurgent because of Tris and Tobias.Ironic, huh??Makes me wonder, is there a Divergent #1.5 instalment that I don’t know of?? Did something happen in the train before it reached Amity??Really, HOW THE HELL did Tris and Tobias get SO ANNOYING????----------------NOTE: SPOILERS AHEAD----------------I know, I know. Tris is 16. She shot her friend. She lost her parents. She has the right to be depressed.But being depressed and being mopey are two very different things. And in my opinion, Tris is NOT depressed.How else do you explain this:Tris is (apparently) so wrecked by guilt at having shot her friend that she can’t even hold a gun. Yet, she has no qualms stabbing a guy with a knife when he threatens to shoot her. And that’s after he shoots a young innocent boy through the head while Tris waits patiently with the knife in her hands....I’m no expert on depression but I’m pretty sure that’s not how depressed people act.I think I know where Veronica Roth got her inspiration from: Katniss in Mockingjay. The resemblance is uncanny. Roth tries hard, too hard, to portray Tris as the once-strong girl now crushed by the cruelties of war, but it fails miserably. Instead, Tris seems to have this poor-me-my-life-is-so-tragic-and-miserable attitude going on that makes it impossible to empathise with her.Coming to Tobias... If Tris is the Queen of Tragedy then Tobias is the King of Irrational Behaviours. None of his actions make sense. Tris at least has a reason for acting all crazy, but what about Tobias?? It’s not like he killed his friends or saw his parents die. Just when his girlfriend’s losing her mind, he decides to act all strange and push her over the edge.WHAT A JERK.The first half of Insurgent was almost insufferable, with two irritating characters fighting all the time. Towards the end, the action amped up tenfold but by then, I was so thoroughly fed up with Tris and Tobias and their now-I-love-you-now-I-don’t relationship that I just didn’t care.The only reason I’m even giving this two stars is because I feel Insurgent could have been worse. Veronica Roth could have added a nauseating love triangle to the mix, but she didn’t. For that one tiny respite, I’m grateful.