Scarlet110

Bibliomaniac Scarlet

I came here to keep in touch with all my friends who left GR after the censorship debacle. I read a little of every genre. I co-blog at Musings of a Bibliomaniac.

Burial Rites
Hannah Kent
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making
Ana Juan, Catherynne M. Valente
Complete Stories and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle - Haruki Murakami, Jay Rubin Here’s my pathetic attempt at writing a review after struggling for close to three hours:The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is not a book. It’s a pendulum that looks like a book. And staring at it for too long is bound to leave you hypnotized.I honestly don’t know what else to say. I’m not even sure if I understood everything. I mean, sure, I understood each and every sentence but I can’t shake off the feeling that there’s something deep and profound hidden in every line. This is one of those books that you simply can’t read at a stretch because things get too disorienting too fast.Here's what I do know: I absolutely love it. Don't ask me why because I can't explain it.This is the second book on magic realism I've read this year - the first being Gabriel Marquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. While One Hundred Years.. felt unreal in a way that made me skeptical, The Wind-Up Bird.. felt surreal in a way that seemed very believable.This is a weird review, I know. But then, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle is a weird book.Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go hunt down the rest of Murakami's books.